With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, heart shaped everything has been dancing in my head. You’re in for it now! To start the insanity, here is a recipe for heart shaped shortbread cookies with a dark chocolate ganache filling and a dollop of raspberry jam.
|Chocolate Raspberry Shortbread|| |
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons milk or half & half
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- raspberry jam
- Heat oven to 325 F
- In a sturdy bowl (preferably using a stand mixer) cream the butter and powdered sugar together.
- Add the milk and egg yolks and blend well.
- Add the flour, salt, and cornstarch. The dough will be very stiff - you may need to use a dough hook at this point. Mix until combined
- On a floured surface, working with half of the dough at a time, roll thinly (picture a thick pie crust.) Cut with a large heart-shaped cookie cutter. Using a small cutter, cut out a hole in the center of half of the cookies.
- Place close together on a cookie sheet (they won't spread) and bake for 10-12 minutes, until you just barely see a little golden around the bottom edges. Cool on a rack.
- Once all of the cookies are baked, make the ganache: In a small pan, heat the cream. You don't want it to boil, you just want it hot and steamy (you know you do!)
- Remove the cream from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let it sit a minute or two, then stir gently.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache on the solid cookies, then gently set a top (with the hole) cookie over the ganache. Drop a small amount of jam into each hole, being careful not to get it on the cookie.
- Allow the cookies to sit until the ganache is firm, or refrigerate for an hour if you wish.
I (for once) kept it simple, but there are so many ways you could decorate these cookies! The top half could be glazed, then drizzled with chocolate. You could skip the jam entirely, and just let the chocolate peek through, maybe dusting the top half with powdered sugar before placing it on the ganache. Sprinkles, white chocolate drizzles, colored sugar…so many options.
One month until V-Day, and Im feeeeelin’ the love!